Anyone who owns a sailboat can attest to the importance of having the right parts in place to ensure that the vessel operates at optimal capacity. Each piece has a role, and the sail is probably the biggest. It is considered to be the engine of a sailboat since it is responsible for the propulsion.
High-quality sails provide better performance across the board. The boat is faster, and the steering is more responsive. Aside from that, they also affect the safety of the boat. Sails prevent or decrease heeling over and instances of rounding up to the wind.
The problem is that new sails can be expensive. It requires some planning to be done right. Part of the process includes what to do with the old sail you will get rid of as soon as you install the new one.
Sailors have several options for their old sails:
- You can throw them away, but that is generally a bad idea. Not only is it harmful to the environment, but you lose potential value.
- If they are unusable, it is best to recycle them. There are organizations that turn old sails into something else like bags.
- You can sell your old sails to get some money back.
How to Sell Old Sails
The best option for old sails is to sell them in the second-hand market. They have high value, especially to other sailors. The price can vary depending on the condition, but selling is better than not getting anything in return or watching the sail rot in your garage.
To sell your old sail, get the measurements first. Write down details that other sailors would ask about the item. That way, you are ready when a potential buyer inquires about it.
Next is to get the item listed in a marketplace. There are several options to choose from:
- Get a consignment deal where a store will do what they can to sell the item, and you get about 50% of the profit.
- Use social media to reach out to potential buyers.
- Post the item on online classified ads like Craigslist.
While all those options have merit in getting your old sail sold, the best choice is to go with SailTrader.
What Is SailTrader?
SailTrader is a website built specifically for sailors looking to sell their old sails or boats. The advantage of using this service is that your item is advertised to the people most interested. Unlike posting on classified ads with mixed visitors, SailTrader is used by other sailors like yourself. That gives you the best chance to sell your old sail at top dollar.
Sellers can list their sails. The process is simple and easy.
- Create an account on the website to start the process.
- Posting an item for sale is free. Just click on sell your sails.
- Follow the guide in making a listing. Provide as much information as possible to match the specifications of your item to the right buyer.
- Once connected to a buyer, you are in a position to sell the sail.
It does not matter what type of sail you are selling. It can be a headsail, mainsail, or spinnaker. SailTrader is the best option you have to connect with the right buyer. We are a sailor-specific site determined to help the community so everyone can enjoy the sport. You cannot go wrong with using our platform.
Whether you want to sell your sail or browse what is available, if you are a sailor, you should visit SailTrader today.